Friday, July 23, 2021

Old. So Old.....

I really like how the girl turned out, not so much for the rest of it

Proud of the fact I used acrylic paints for this

Gulfsprite suggested I blend the colors for the background

And I do like this background better

Can't remember if I posted this. Mom! Bunny Alert!!!!


Acrylic paint, collage and colored pencils

 I have not had the opportunity to work as much as I used to in the art journals. Tis the season for yard work, and getting the dogs out, and more yard work. But it does seem I am spending far more time on each journal spread. More painting, more complicated. That's fine. It's all good.

Arthritis. Let's talk about it. My knee is not that bad, certainly no where near needing a knee replacement. The physical therapist has a plan to strengthen the entire leg, and this is based on my history. Having had a right hip replacement in February 2019, I did indeed exercise until the pandemic hit in March 2020. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing enough hip specific exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding the hip. Like most people, life became homebound in 2020, and I then discovered it was difficult to move, talk and breathe at the same time. Oh, wait....you need open heart surgery for a new aortic valve. Don't do anything. We don't want you to have a heart attack. 

I didn't do much other than walk at the dog park from September 2020 (when I was finally released to drive again) to May 2021, when I joined the recreation center and started taking Silver Sneaker classes. I had fully realized I was still too weak, and it's almost a year since my surgery. Arthritis had settled into that knee, and the lack of support from the surrounding muscles intensified the pain. I have had 4 sessions of physical therapy, and scheduled 4 more over the next 2 weeks. We are concentrating on both hips, both legs, the glutes (my butt) and core strength. I have a series of exercises I do at home, twice a day, and have incorporated some into my time at the dog park, using the sturdy wooden benches for support. 

In other words, if you sit on your ass you will pay the price. To relieve the swelling and pain, I am using a prescription gel, ice, and elevation. It is all working. Is this hard? Oh, you betcha! But I will do just about anything to prevent or delay another surgery. And being in control of my own exercises is appealing and satisfying. So once again, exercise is the answer. What is your question? Sometimes I have to be reminded of that. Stay cool. Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment