Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Day 3

I did this on a day when I needed to remember that there is an end to chaos

Jake

Boop!

Gracie refusing to look at me
Did you ever have one of those days when you ask yourself why you do what you do? Yesterday was it for me. I sat on the couch with the dogs, sketching. And none of it was worth keeping, or trying to fix. It was all crap. Unfortunately, what I was trying to sketch is the January Creative Girl from Danielle Donaldson's class. And if I can't do January, I won't be doing the remainder of the year.

She has suggested that we take a 5.5x8.5 piece of watercolor paper, mark off a 5x7 opening for our projects. We are to draw and paint a full length girl within those confines, and I am having a horrible time with proportions, always making the head too big, or the torso too long, the legs too short. After 5 attempts, I abandoned the sketchbook and took a 20 minute nap. When I got up to fix dinner, it dawned on me: I am completely intimidated by the 5x7 restrictions for the full body drawing. It's my own work of art, Danielle is never going to see it, and I have to do what works for me. So today I will try a sketch on a full size 9x12 watercolor paper. Screw this!

It was an enormous help that I watched the first video in the second lesson of Wandering Through Watercolor class. It is also a full length girl, and Natalie's proportions were spot on. So will take it from there. For me, drawing is learning. Once I get something that remotely resembles my goal, I am able to build on that with repetition. It builds your drawing muscle. Trueness.

That is my goal, and I'm sticking to it.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment