Sunday, September 23, 2018

Playing Around

8x8 wood panel with dictionary pages collaged under the paint


This is the final product. My intent was not for the larger letters, but I think it works

Other 8x8 wood panel, still incomplete

photo of Greta Garbo. She just happened to be on the dictionary page I used.
I am constantly inspired by the works of Jane Wetz and Dori Patrick on Instagram. You can also find both on Facebook, but Jane is within the group Mixed Media Marks, I believe. Not sure on that, and I can't check. Took myself off of Facebook for awhile. Too toxic, too stressful.

Anyway, they both do colorful canvases with sayings. Jane uses scrapbook papers and it sppears homemade papers to embellish some of her works. Dori Patrick tends towards paint, oil pastels, markers, whatever. I started with collage on the bare wood. Then used Waverly chalk paint to cover the collage. Let that dry, and sanded it with a brown paper bag. Pulled out the stencils and started with gesso, then added some pink paint.

The black lines are a heavy charcoal pencil, smudged with the Catalyst wedge dipped in water. Still wanted more texture, so pulled out several graphic style stamps. The lettering is a wonky alphabet from Paper Artsy, available online at Frantic Stamper. Some of the letters are also a distressed cling stamp set by Reflections, at Michael's.

This is just what I needed to work through my stress. Going to do some more today.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment