Monday, January 15, 2018

MLK JR Day

This was the sheet I printed to

This was the sheet I printed from

Close up of both

Jake wanted a paw massage and could care less about monoprinting
There is a technique that Seth Apter teaches called monoprinting without a plate. Normally I wouldn't reveal techniques I learn in classes because a) it is how the artist makes their living, and b)I paid for it, so DUH! However, I came across several videos on YouTube performing this method yesterday, so I don't feel guilty discussing it here.

I used a large piece of Strathmore water color paper, 140lb. Covered it with gesso completely, and let it dry several days. This is important.  In the videos and in classes, the instructions are to use chalk paint, such as Paper Artsy. I do not own any of their brand, and really was not up to getting out in the cold for Michael's. I know, amazing that I didn't want to shop. So I pulled out my regular Folk Art craft paint, the $.97 a bottle Folk Art from Walmart. NOT Apple Barrel.

For the sheet I printed FROM, I applied a random coat of Midnight Blue. Pressed the TO sheet into that. The print will be sketchy, and that is what you want. Second coat was a bright green, repeat. And over and over. At the end, there were some spots of black thrown in. If I accidentally applied too much paint on the FROM sheet, I grabbed a piece of deli paper and pressed that into the FROM sheet first to remove excess.  This takes awhile. I sat in front of the television yesterday afternoon watching shows on Netflix, applying paint until I reached what you see above.

The FROM sheet is quite thick, and can be used as a backing for a variety of projects. The TO sheet is also sturdy, but you will note it has some blank areas. I can leave that, or add more depending on what I will use it for. I do have something in mind, and will work on that today. One more tip: I applied the paint with a brush, in horizontal stripes, then vertical. Not always all the way from side to side. You will see as you do this how to get variance in application. Also, I have tried this in the past with Golden Fluid Acrylics and did not like the results. They are too glossy and did not transfer well. Also have used canvas paper, which is thicker.

Today we celebrate the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.  Some of my favorite quotes:

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.

I have a dream. Me. I do. And I believe that 2018 is the year our world will change.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment