Friday, December 1, 2017

Mixed Media Canvas


First layers

Not sure if it is finished


Sometimes it is a very good thing to go through your stash of "art supplies". I use that term loosely because what someone else would deem garbage might be an art supply to me.

I watched a video where the artist used a piece of packaging in a collage. I think it was Ashli Oliver. I had some corrugated cardstock on my desk, and pulled out the small circle punch. Old scrapbookers never die, we go on to mixed media. Punched out several pieces, then used the circles as well as part of the main piece. The wonderful aspect of using cardboard is that it already has texture and bulk, and the surface takes paint beautifully for various effects.

Other items in this collage are: Tim Holtz ideology tissue paper in music, old paper doilys, old fiber ribbon, buttons, heavy body gesso, regular gesso, and molding paste through a Donna Downey stencil. After all of that dried, I started playing around with some Daniel Smith watercolors. Let that dry overnight, then sprayed it with Krylon Workable Fixative (in the garage, do NOT inhale that stuff), and did a glaze with Golden's Raw Umber. I added some touch up paint here and there with a fine liner brush with the Raw Umber, a trick learned well from Donna Downey.

I like this. In fact, I am going to pull out some regular canvases today and do a series. This was done on a flat canvas panel from Dick Blick.  Side note: I have gone back to usiing Aleene's Tacky Glue for adhering cardboard and buttons, doily type materials. It dries faster than gel medium, it is WAAAYYY cheaper than gel medium, and everything stays where you want it to stay.

Thanks for stopping by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment