Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Slight interruption


Day lilies




I don't remember the name of this plant, but I love it

And here is the reason SOMEONE had a bath yesterday
Today we have a public service announcement, boys and girls. Listen up!

I invested in heavy duty surge protectors for my televisions and cable boxes to plug into. I also have one on the computer equipment. Guess what? They work.  Lightning strikes were everywhere in this area late Sunday, and a power surge came into the house through the lines. This surge fried the computer modem from my service provider, which is Spectrum. It fried the Ethernet port on the back of my Mac desktop. The surge protector kicked off, saving the Mac, printer, and the Wi-Fi router.

The television and cable box in the living room were fine, as was the bedroom television. Kicked the fuse off on that surge protector. Tripped 3 breakers in my electrical breaker box that would not come back on. Spectrum came yesterday and replaced the modem, connected me via Wi-Fi instead of using the Ethernet port, and then I had 2 very nice, knowledgeable electricians from Frye Electric here in Indy. Sweethearts. They now have a 5 star rating from me online. There was nothing wrong with the breakers, but these two young men checked the entire house, then explained how to reset the surge protectors, and how to use them properly with coaxial cable so a power surge will flow in and out, and not destroy any equipment. The service call was the minimum $124 for 30 minutes. I don't care, it was worth it to me to make sure my electric was good.

All three of the service techs yesterday were young. I am old enough to be their grandma. But they were respectful, kind, and did not talk down to me. All gave me solid information for when this happens, how to prevent it from happening, and what to shop for when I lose my Wi-Fi router. I appreciate that. A bunch. There are good people in this world.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment