Monday, February 27, 2017

Obsessions

Front cover

Inside the front cover. These are the end papers

First spread, not complete. Will add more tomorrow

Sample of the pages

I used some file folders, and punched out some stars

The papers on the right are what was under my Gel Plate in a class last September. I save everything.
I follow a lot of artist blogs, and there are times they will do a "flip through" of their art journals.  One of the artists I follow is Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and the flip throughs she does fascinate me. I know she makes her journals because she has stated this on her blog before, and she had an online class available. I finally caved last week and paid for the class on how to make a Junque Journal.

Because you are starting from scratch, a junk journal can be any size you choose. I followed the example Julie had in class, which was using 9 by 12 boards for the covers, making the pages approximately 8.5 by 11, a standard size.  That is one side. You are actually making the pages 11 inches tall, 17 inches long, then folding in half.

I have a ton of scrap book paper. I did have way more, but several years ago gave a box full to my youngest granddaughter, who is into all of this. Poor kid. Did I pass along my addiction? It doesn't seem to matter how many scrap books you make, or cards, or mini albums, the supplies never go down. Seriously, I think the papers mate at night. My point is I either had to start to pitch this stuff, or use it. Junque Journals are the perfect way to use up any papers you have hanging around. The second one I am working on now is nothing but Gelli Plate prints, mainly from the two classes I took with Carolyn Dube. There is a third journal in progress that will be a combination of everything again.

To adhere the stitched signatures to the covers, I used a map of Iowa. It was handy. Nothing against Iowa, but it may be awhile before I return. It's a nice state, but the art retreats all seem to be in Ohio or Wisconsin. (The ones I can afford)

In the third photo is the first spread. I used Ranger's Dylusion paints directly onto the scrap book paper on the left and the file folder on the right. Worked in a little gesso to vary the color. No primer, no gesso underneath, and this covered very well. The pages are not curling, and my pen wrote on top of the paint beautifully.

So far I am really pleased with this journal. I know what mistakes I made, and have corrected for that with the new ones in progress.  By the way, I cut up an old pair of Lee denim shorts for the material I needed to make a spine. Today I went to JoAnn's and bought a yard of a light weight canvas. By the feel of this material, I think it will be more suitable as a spine.

The real problem is I can't seem to stop. Hope everyone likes art journals.....
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment