Wednesday, November 30, 2016

New Assemblage

Trying out background paper

Different paper

After a glaze of Raw Umber
I now have another container of shit in my studio. This is an old basket that is rapidly filling up with metal bits and pieces. Some are found at flea markets, some are purchased in the craft sections of Hobby Lobby and Michael's. This particular iced tea spoon came in a bundle from a local antique market.

The frame is wood, and I purchased it at Michael's. I think it was a buck. I used Americana craft paint in Butterscotch all over, including the back. It came with a small wood dowel to insert in one of the pre-drilled holes on the back for display.  Nice. After the paint was dry, I sanded it with a paper bag (an old crafters trick), then applied Light Molding Paste through a Tim Holtz stencil. When I lifted the stencil, I didn't like how uniform it was, so I pulled some of the wet paste back off in random spots. After that was dry, I did some stamping and added some tiny splatters with black paint and an old tooth brush.

I have been working on the background paper for awhile, trying to get the look of graffiti. Almost there. Now down to attaching metal bits and the spoon. For the smaller pieces I'll use E6000 glue. If you've never tried it, this stuff works. Really, really well, so make sure what you are attaching is where you want it forever. You can buy it anywhere, but cheapest at Walmart.

I don't know why this appeals so much to me. Maybe the look of grunge, but I am having a lot of fun with this, the latest obsession. The dogs are feeling neglected. Uh huh. Right. Photos of the finished project will be up this week.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment