Monday, July 4, 2016

4th of July

The new end cap on my dryer run, complete with bird guard

Just one of the clogs removed from the dryer vent run
I live in a subdivision. Like most subdivisions, this one was designed by men, or a man. I really don't know for sure. I would like to know, so I can go and kick that man's ass, but hey. Not necessary for my sanity. I have explained part of this before, but here is the recap: my utility room is off the living room. The vent opening for the clothes dryer is on a wall shared with the garage. Said vent goes into the wall, 90 degree turn straight up approximately 10 feet, 90 degree turn to the right and across the 15 or so feet of the garage to exit the house on the north wall, some 10 feet off the ground. Above the air conditioner.

I called a professional to clean it out. Now I can safely say this was money well spent, because there is no way in hell I would have ever been able to remove the clogs. Plural. As in more than one. The young man hooked up a high powered blower to the inside vent opening. The above birds glob popped out, along with about 10 cups of dry lint. So far so good. Then he ran a wire brush attached to a drill into the long run from the outside, to loosen the packed glob. And we have water! Wet lint, wet everything, due to the high humidity content inside the vent because the birds nests had blocked the air flow. To shorten this saga, the young man, let us call him Warren because that is his name, had to go into the attic, locate the vertical pipe from above, cut it open, pull out the crap that was packed in there for approximately 13 years, then duct tape the pipe back together.

My clothes have never dried this fast before. N-E-V-E-R!!! The lint trap on my clothes dryer has never had this much lint caught in it's screen before.

To try and prevent the birds (2 flew out of the pipe when I put the extension ladder up against the house) from returning, I purchased a new end cap with a bird screen. Warren installed it, very tight to the siding. Yes indeed. Warren and I have bonded. He will be back. Told me that everyone should have their vents cleaned on a regular basis, but because it is only me in the house (Gracie and Jake don't do laundry), I can probably wait 18 months. We shall see.

If you are reading this and saying to yourself, "Self, when was the last time I checked the dryer vent run", and Self doesn't know the answer? You are overdue.

Have a great 4th. I spend my time telling my Aussie the world is not coming to an end, and my terrier that NO! he can't attack the fireworks. Settle!
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment