Saturday, November 8, 2014

Entertainment


This is not a sharp image, and I apologize. I grabbed it off of Google Images. But it suits my purpose. Well, not really. My true purpose would be to meet this man, but that ain't happening, so we'll just do this.

I had become a television snob, due to the utter bullshit on television. I hate, I mean hate reality tv. Honey Boo Boo? Races, Survivor, all of it. Big Brother. Good God, how can you seriously believe they don't script that crap? So when the reality craze hit, I kind of stopped watching a lot of programing. With one or two exceptions: NCIS. Mark Harmon. Yeah, that is easy on the eyes, and I liked all of the characters on that show. Didn't catch it on Tuesday nights, because I work teaching a class. Big Bang Theory. Makes me laugh. I've got off of it this year, because I don't think anyone is worth 1 million dollars per episode. Sorry Jim, Johnny, and Kaley, but that is how I feel. And Sherlock. The BBC version with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. BEST. SHOW. EVER!!!!!

So one day last winter when I was once again stuck in the house due to snow and frigid air, I was cruising through the guide and clicked on reruns of Castle on TNT. I was bored. I watched one episode of Castle, then another, then another, and was totally hooked. The cast works so well together, the writing can be very clever, and Nathan Fillion.

Curious about Nathan, I googled him. That lead me to YouTube to watch various ComicCon videos, and to Firefly and Serenity. Firefly was a series in 2002 that aired only 11 episodes, made 14, and is now a cult classic.  That series made Nathan Fillion King of the Nerds/Geeks. Serenity is the movie that director Joss Whedon made in 2005 with the same cast, that continued the story. Want to know how addictive this is? I didn't purchase Firefly or Serenity until April of this year. I have watched the series at least 4 times, all 14 episodes, and the movie once with bits and pieces again. I am savoring this movie. There in all probability won't be another one.

After that, I started in on whatever else Joss Whedon has directed or Nathan Fillion has had a part in. If you have never seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, do yourself a favor and watch it. It is a 3 act musical staring Nathan, Neil Patrick Harris, and Felicia Day. It is brilliant. Some day there will be a part 2. I'm waiting, Mr. Whedon. Yes, I am. Joss was the creator and director of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I went back and watched the first 4 seasons of Buffy on Amazon Prime, free streaming. Then a biography was released on Joss Whedon, I purchased and read that. He stated that the best writing on television belonged to a short lived series called Veronica Mars. Dang, Amazon had that for free. There were only 3 seasons, and I am half way through season 3.

I am now nuts. And a nerd. And enjoying entertainment again. Especially when you can dip into it, for free, with streaming. Loving this technology.

Enjoy something today.
Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment