Friday, February 28, 2014

The Things I Get Into

What the hell are you doing, Mom?


I have a list of blogs I check, at least 3 times a week. If there is something interesting posted on Facebook from one of the companies I use, or an artist I follow, I will click on that and follow the thread. This can get me into a lot of trouble. Lots.

The Gelli Art Plate people made a video on texture plates, using Pellon 71F for the texture. Not being an accomplished sewer or quilter, I had no idea that this stuff existed. But the process outlined by the Gelli ladies intrigued me, so last week I checked my phone for JoAnne coupons, and off I went.

Basically, Pellon 71F (and trust me, there was an overwhelming display of Pellon, all with various numbers that represent various aspects of the material) is a fusible, slightly stiff material. One side is sticky, and that is the side you want to place down. For example, if you wanted to fuse a cotton print to this, you would lay out your shape of Pellon with sticky side up, placing the material down right side up.

For Gelli Plate usage, you cut out various shapes or designs, whatever floats your particular boat. When you have it the way you want it, place a sheet of parchment paper down, put your Pellon on top of that, then another sheet of parchment paper. Set the iron to wool setting with steam, and hold the iron for about 10 seconds in one spot. This fuses the materials together. When you are sure the pieces are all adhered, you flip it over and press the back to make sure.

I had the right idea, but did not build enough layers. My texture prints didn't have as much texture as I was looking for, but it's a learning experience and was fun. I applied paint to my round Gelli plate, then pressed this texture plate into the paint, then made a print. Going to try this again. In fact, I have a long list of things to try this weekend. 10 inches of snow Sunday into Monday. Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment