Monday, June 17, 2013

The Box


I was in Hobby Lobby a few weeks back, and just looking around. I love to do this for inspiration, and to see what new color trends are out in the stores. On display were a few wooden boxes finished with book paper. The lids were painted black with some funky, simple flowers painted on top and a saying that I don't remember because I didn't care for it. And that's the way my mind works....

I really liked the box, but not the black lid or the flowers and saying. So I went back to the wood section, found this little bad boy, whipped out my 40% coupon, and brought it home. The box is about 14 inches long, maybe 4 inches wide, and 5 inches tall. The brass colored clasp works and when you purchase it, it is raw wood that has been sanded.

I have bought several old books at garage sales, so I tore pages from each and cut them into strips of different widths. Starting at the left corner with the box open, I Mod Podged each strip on, butting them side by side. It takes no time at all. However, when you get to an end and have to reposition the box, you don't want a side that is still wet to be on your work surface. It will stick. So I did what I could, then let it dry overnight. Took me no more than 45 minutes total work time. The inside is not done. Because the lid has this pretty bevel cut, I was not going to attempt to attach book pages to it. Instead, I took a Tim Holtz Distress Stain dabber in Vintage Photo, and ran it all over the bare wood and dried strips. When you use Mod Podge, you put it underneath and on top of your paper. That left a nice, soft sheen when I was done.

For whatever reason, probably operator error, the top photo is slightly blurred. I can't retake it because the box is now for sale in our booth. Just thought I'd pass this along in case you would like to make something like this. One more tip: the thinner the book pages, the better they will adhere. Just be careful, because they will also tear easily. I purposely used book pages of different shades of white and cream. Just like that look. This will also work on paper mache, but attaching to a wood surface is easier.

Have a good one.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment