Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Garden in a drought






I have been told that weather runs in cycles. That is to say that even though this is central Indiana's third year of summer drought, the jet stream will eventually shift and we will return to normal rainfall. Kind of hard to believe when you are in the middle of daily watering.

We have not had any measurable rain fall since May 1st. I do recall that April 28th I wore my winter jacket to protect against a very cold rain at the 2012 Mutt Strut fundraiser at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That may have been our last rain that lasted longer than 5 minutes.

I can't even guess how many hours I have spent out watering the flower beds, trees, and shrubs with a hose in the past 2 months. You invest so much time and money in landscaping you hate to see it burn up. As you can see from this last photo, the grass is green around the trees. I deep water them, now, at least twice a week. The River Birch have already dropped their leaves once from intense heat and lack of moisture. Trying to prevent that from happening again.

All of this kind of makes you wonder what is going on with the environment, doesn't it? Nothing according to the Republicans. Everything according to the Democrats. Who is right? I don't know. But I do know that in my 64 years, I have never experienced 3 straight years of drought like this. And that scares the crap out of me.

Think about it.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment