Monday, May 28, 2012

The Ducks

One recent morning, I walked out my front door to take some shots of the flowers. This is the sight that greeted me. Please look closely. There is a very young rabbit in the far background, getting ready to run off.

My neighbors hung bird feeders out this year for finches and hummingbirds. The finch seed has attracted all types of birds, including these ducks. They'll waddle up into the yard and peck at the ground under the hanging bags of seed. When finished, they meander on through my side yard. This, of course, drives the dogs into major barking mode. The ducks ignore them. Gracie doesn't like being ignored.

Our entire area has retention ponds inside the subdivisions. I know there is some environmental reason for this related to run off water, but the ponds do attract the ducks and Canadian geese. Consequently it is not at all unusual to have Mallards in your yard. When it rains heavily in the spring and there is standing water anywhere, the ducks will sit there. These two ducks seem to have adopted our little corner. I kind of like it.

That bunny? He/she is one of three young ones, born this spring, that live either under my shed or the neighbor's shed. They play bunny hop, bunny tag, knowing that the dogs can't get to them later in the day. It's just too damn cute to watch. Again, drives the dogs nuts. Personally, I think it's jealousy that they can't hop way up into the air the way the rabbits can.

Enjoy this holiday. Think good thoughts.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment