Thursday, September 8, 2011

You Never Know

We had to get up early this morning, because I had a class to teach at 8am. So the dogs were fed and in the yard by 5:45am. Gracie wanted to stay outside when Jake came in, and I let her. It's chilly, overcast, and spitting rain here and there. My Aussie loves this weather, and unless she goes into barking mode, I will allow her to sit on the deck and survey her domain.

When she came in, her head was down. Didn't think anything of it, until about 15 minutes later she came up to me, lifted her head, and her right eye was swollen shut. Total panic. I had her jump up on my bed, and applied a warm compress. It appeared she had been bit by something right next to the eye. Leaving the compress on for about 15 seconds seemed to help, so I did this several times. By 7am the swelling had gone down, so I made the decision to wait and take her to a vet after 9. It's so hard with your animals, you just don't know.

The vet was very kind, and after a general exam including taking Gracie's temperature (not one of my dog's favorite things in this world), the doctor felt it was some type of bite on the eyelid. She did check for eyeball scratches and there were none. The Diva is home with eye drops, and I must run to the store for some Benedryl. Today's little adventure was $88. It truly is like having kids, isn't it?

Have a great day, hug your pets.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment