Sunday, September 11, 2011

Imagine

Imagine.

What would the world be like if 9/11/01 had not happened? What would we, as Americans, be like if the horror of that day had not been embedded in our souls, our brains, our hearts?

This is a day of rememberance. It needs to be a day for self-examination, of reflection, and of goals. Our country is divided at this moment. The barbs and slings bounce back and forth between politicians, the fuel fed by the talk shows and radio programs. The media lights the fire, and the internet sets it ablaze. There is no courtesy, no consideration. Rudeness is the way of life for generations. I, Me, Mine.

Our nation was one after 9/11. WE were Americans, lending a helping hand, reaching out to comfort those hurt by the terror. People did because they had to do something, anything, to help alleviate the devastation from the attacks. In the past decade that has been lost. There was hope at the last Presidential election, but once again the division has grown.

This is my opinion only, no one elses. I don't presume to speak for another human being. I am what I am, and it is what I feel: that we need to regain respect for all peoples, that we need to regain the tolerance for different races and faiths. Margot, the daughter of Ann Landers, recently wrote of this issue when a reader submitted a letter that basically said "I can no longer read your column, you support a woman's right to choose abortion." I am paraphrasing Margot here: Your God is not my God, your bible is not my bible, but I respect the fact that you believe what you do.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace. John Lennon.

What would the world be like if Muslims tolerated Christians, if Jews tolerated Muslims, if right wing conservatives kept their religious beliefs out of politics?

And in my darkest hour, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be. Paul McCartney.

Have a day of reflection. Have a day of peace.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment