Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Retirement


I am retired. I can prove it. I collect a survivor pension from my late husband, and a social security check. So I should be admiring the garden, relaxing like Jake in the photo above. Am I doing that? Hell, no, I'm not doing that! Sigh.

This is my day: teach classes at the aquatic and recreation center, walk the dogs, pick those little sticky weed balls out of Jake's fur after the walk, let the dogs out, let the dogs in, and repeat those last two items 28 times. Add cleaning, laundry, cooking, painting the shed and trim on the house, and all of the other chores involved with home ownership, and there you have it.

Where do the hours go? I need to craft items for the December show and for the new Allyscraps shop, which opens next week. I should be studying for my AFAA certification in November. There are stacks of books to be read. I even have books on my Nook from last May that I downloaded when we went on vacation. The Nook needs to be recharged.

How do we get so busy? The days fly by, and I realize the long list of chores that didn't get done. But I do have my priorities: walking the dogs is up there, as is going to the dog park. A tired dog is a good dog. And when my life is just too chaotic, too hectic, that is when I will take just 30 minutes and head into the craft room. Working on a project has a calming effect on me, and when time is short, it seems that is when I turn out something I am especially proud of.

Whatever you are doing today, or this week or month, enjoy it. Cherish the moments because the days whiz by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment