Monday, August 29, 2011

Boo Boo

Jake and Gracie at play in the backyard
Dogs are our companions. They greet us when we've been away, follow us around the home, and lower our blood pressure when we, the two legged ones, are allowed to stroke their fur. So when one gets hurt, it is traumatic not only for the dog, but the owner.

I was at the dog park last night with my two, and there were several people and dogs there that we know. One was Dega, a Wheaton Terrier, who is one of Gracie's boyfriends. My beautiful Aussie has many. She is known as the Park Slut. But that is another story.... The dogs had all been chasing a beagle, having fun, running around in the beautiful late day sun, when Dega returned to his mom. Melissa looked down and there was blood all over his front leg. I happened to be holding a squirt bottle filled with water, which is used to remind Jake who is the pack leader (me, in case you were wondering). Melissa asked for it to wash off his paw. At first we couldn't see anything, and the poor baby kept curling his paw under his body. Being a good mom, Melissa didn't like the looks of that bleeding paw, and took him immediately to the Airport Emergency Vet.

This facility is run by vets from all over the Indianapolis area, and is only open when regular veterinary clinics aren't. It's expensive to walk in the door, as you are paying for the convenience, but let me say, I've used them on a Sunday night, and these people are wonderful. Compassionate to a fault, caring, and very good veterinarians. We like them a lot.

Turns out Dega had to be sedated just for the paw to be examined. Somehow, he had bent the middle nail back and it was caught in his fur. The nail was loose, and had to be removed. I can't even imagine how much pain that poor baby was in, but he is now all better. The leg is wrapped in gauze, and he has antibiotics and pain meds. Melissa called me on her way home. I had sent her a text wanting to know what was going on. She borrowed one of my cones (the CONE of SHAME, if you've ever seen the movie, UP), so Dega won't chew off the gauze.

I have met so many people through my dogs. We are here for each other, we socialize outside of the dog park, and reach out to one another in times of need. It is a very good feeling.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment