Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stormy skies but no rain


  The view over my neighbors house, with the sun setting
 I took this pictures last night when I stepped out on the deck with the dogs. It was around 8:45pm, the sun had set but was still casting light on this one bank of clouds. Just for the record, the air temperature was 90 degrees, and the heat index was 98. Yeah, that late in the day.

We did not get one drop of rain. Again, the pattern is repeating that rain goes to our north and south, and completely ignores the center of the state. But the formation of the clouds fascinated me, and I sat for about 30 minutes, watching the shapes and colors change.

Today was better temperature wise, only 93 with lower humidity. Tonight at the pool where I teach, we were discussing the bizarre weather and it's effect on our health. There were two of us with chronic health issues that experienced  flare-ups within the last 24 hours. Nothing earth shattering, but perhaps we will be better prepared in the future should this intense heat return.

Switching to the dogs, I have a quick story: I purchased two Nyla bones last week. For those not familiar with this product, they come in different density levels for the various chewing abilities of the dogs. I bought "heavy chewers" for my two. When I came home from the store, I opened the packages and gave each dog a brand new bone. Within 30 minutes, Gracie, the Aussie with an attitude, had both bones outside in the backyard. Jake had none. To make sure that Jake did not get his bone back, she laid on one bone while chewing on the other. This all happened 5 days ago, and poor Jake has yet to chew on either of the bones. Gracie still rules. And the little guy better remember that.

What is a mom to do?
Linda

1 comment: