Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm Getting Very Old

Terra Lynn at her first birthday party with Grandpa Crowe
Today is the birthday of my oldest grandchild, my granddaughter, Terra. She is 23. I know people say this all the time, but I do indeed remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. My husband, Ken, was still working at FORD as a foreman in small press. We were in the process of building our retirement home on a private lake outside of Kingman, IN. FORD, like most factories, shuts down the first two weeks of July and the employees take a mandatory paid vacation.

The phone call came on the morning of July 11th that Tammie was in labor, so we packed up our two Shelties and headed back to the suburbs of Chicago. Terra was born around 5pm that day, and Ken insisted on stopping at a store to buy his first grandchild a huge teddy bear. This stuffed animal was enormous, 5 times the size of the baby. He had a big red ribbon tied around his neck, and when we walked into the hospital, several nurses stopped to ask if the teddy bear was for them. Oh no, said Ken, this is for my grandbaby.

Terra still has the bear. She saved it for her first child, a girl named Bella. Grandpa would be proud. Terra is awaiting the birth of her second daughter, Ryleigh. Life does go on.

Happy Birthday, sweetheart. I love you.
Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment