Friday, June 3, 2011

Sigh

Did you ever have one of those weeks? This has been mine. There is no excuse for not posting except I have been dragging all week long. Due to the holiday, I picked up extra hours at work. That is a good thing, every once in awhile. The bad thing is for some strange reason, my energy level just bottomed out. To the point, the dogs and I took a few afternoon naps this week. I hate that. I hate being that tired that I just lay down and pass out for an hour.

We did go sheep herding on Wednesday, and Jake spent a day at doggie day care. He did quite well. He is a sweet dog that still has a lot of puppy in him. Of course I will never know how old he is exactly, the vet can only guess. But compared to how Gracie was at a year, yeah, he is still puppy.

So far, Jake likes to rearrange the bed, move carpets, and chew potatoes. I put the potatoes up, so that problem is solved. The rugs are another issue. But just to put things in perspective, this is what Gracie did at age 9 months, in the space of 90 minutes while I was exercising outside the house: removed a quilt from my bed, removed the top sheet, chewed through the bottom sheet to get to the foam topper, pull said foam topper up through that hole she had made, and shred the foam all over the bedroom.

Now I know that they should be crated while I am gone. However. Gracie is now an adult and beyond that type of destruction, and Jake is a handful when I attempt to place him in the one crate I own. You must remember, this dog spent 5 weeks in a kennel at the shelter. I do believe in crate training for dogs when they are young pups. But I also think that we are in the adjustment period for Jake, and that the crate is a last resort. Lots of exercise will help, and believe me, he gets that.

Life with dogs. Sigh.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment