Friday, June 24, 2011

After the rain

Lilies

Lambs Ear that I did not plant...

I couldn't resist the bumble bee
We have had a great deal of rain lately, not that I'm complaining.  No, not after the drought of last summer and fall. Yesterday afternoon a gentle rain moved through the area, and I went out to sit on the bench by the front door to enjoy it and look at my garden. When it stopped, I grabbed the camera. The light was too good to not take some photographs.

That huge clump of Lamb's Ear was not planted. Last summer, in the midst of that heat, my neighbor, Lisa, gave me several clumps of this plant that she had dug up from a friend's yard. He wanted to thin out what he had and get rid of it. Now I know why. All Lisa did was lay a bunch of drying rapidly plants on that corner of my front garden. By the time I got home to plant it, the plants were pretty much dead. But here's the thing: I didn't plant anything on this corner. It just laid there. Obviously dropping seeds, thinking "I'll get my revenge!"

The bees love this plant. I am, unfortunately, one of those individuals who is highly allergic to insect stings. Bees, wasps, hornets, all three are lethal to my system. So believe me when I say I was far back from this stalk, using the telephoto lens to take this pic. I kind of like the way it turned out.

Have a great weekend.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment