Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sheep

I took Gracie to the farm for a sheep herding lesson yesterday morning. We really didn't know what to expect. Gracie had not been in the pen for over 3 weeks, and has a tendency to be a tad wild when she has missed lessons. But I let her run in the field before we started, and she watched us feed 3 lambs by bottle. That was a strange experience. Let Gracie encounter a full grown sheep and she chases it. Let it be a lamb, and she was all maternal, licking the lamb's face, trying to get some of the formula.

I have been working with her a lot on the command, "lie down". Evidently it is sticking in that Aussie brain. She did lie down whenever Leah or I told her, and even did it when she heard the word "down" in Leah's conversation. Pretty impressive. But my girl has been through a lot of changes in the past month, and I'm sure that has an effect on her behavior. She seems calmer.

We went to the dog park last night for 2 hours. It was a beautiful 71 degrees, and lots of dogs were there, running, playing ball, having a good time. Gracie did her herding of dogs, barking, etc. A great deal of running.

She is asleep at my feet now. Life is good.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment