Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Keep Away

Gracie has the bone, and Lily wants it

The Diva can fit behind the plants, Lily can't

Oh come on! You quit already??
Lily and Gracie were introduced to each other at the dog park, when they were around 6 months old. Because Lily is larger, Gracie accepts her as an equal. Most of the time, my little Diva Princess doesn't get along with other female dogs. There are a few exceptions, particularly when the other female has put the Diva Princess in her place.

One of the first games they played together was "Keep Away". As in, I have whatever it is you think you want, and you'll just have to take it from me." We also call it, Nah na, Nah na, Boo Boo. I guess old habits die hard, and the game came out of the recesses of the dog's brains on Friday night. Gracie had to be on her toes, because Lily is so damn quick, she could snatch the bone away in a blink of the eye.

The girls don't get to play together as much as they did. Vicky doesn't bring Lily to the dog park very often due to an aggression problem. I prefer to take Gracie to the park and work on her problems. Smile. I'm sure the other dog owners probably have a few choice words. There are days my Diva Princess can be quite vocal. She has a tendency to become obsessed with one of the other dogs, and herd them constantly. But we're working on it, and I truly feel she is improving. Just not at the rate others may think she should.

To me, socialization is just as important as feeding your dog. The dog needs to be able to get along with other animals and people. People are not our problem. Gracie is a friendly dog with just about everyone. It's the other dogs that can bring out her jealous, protective, and possessive streak. And maybe that is not such a bad thing right now. She needs to know that mom is here for her. When the time arrives for another dog to be introduced into our family, Gracie will let me know.

Have a great day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment