Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Things to Ponder

Kind of in a reflective mood today. Maybe it's the changing weather. Do you ever wonder why we do some of the stupid things we do? Everyone is guilty of it, I'm sure. For example:

How is it possible to pull your car keys out of your purse, insert them into the ignition of your car, then forget they are there? If the normal chain of events is changed,  even for a second, your brain misfires. I have done this twice in recent weeks. Inserted the keys, then NOT turned the ignition, but instead checked my email and messages on my phone. Bingo, where did I put my keys? They aren't in my purse. Well of course they aren't, nitwit, they are in the ignition where you put them 4 minutes ago!

And the famous, "Why did I come into this room? What am I after?" Everyone has done that. The dogs will follow me around the house as I carry laundry, or cleaning supplies, whatever. We will all stop, and I'll look at them: why are we here? And they will look up at me, and say, quite distinctly, "to give us a treat?"  This can get tricky when living alone.

I read an explanation of this a few years back that was simple yet logical. After living X amount of years, your brain is like a filing cabinet with tons of folders. The folders are full of information accumulated over decades, and it takes your searching system a bit longer to find the exact piece of information you need.

I'm buying that......
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment