Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sheep herding 101

Aren't I cute?

Probably chasing birds flying overhead
We went to the farm yesterday to herd in our small pen. It has been, probably, 2 months since we were at the farm due to the weather, the holidays, and the weather. Did I say weather twice? Imagine that. I am so ready to put this house on the market and move to a warmer state. Any warmer state.

So little Miss Gracie was full of herself when she entered the pen. Leah had only 4 sheep in there, and they were calm. Gracie did well, we worked her for about 20 minutes, then she went back to the car to think about what she had done. I didn't fall.

Second time out, she was wound up, ready to dive into those sheep. I lost control of her immediately, and my voice came up an octave. That raises the dog's excitement as well. Leah came back into the pen, got both of us calmed down, and we had a great session. I walked backwards with the sheep, no one pushed me down, and I finally, finally after all these months felt like this was something I could do. It was a great feeling.

The above pictures are from June 2009, right after we moved into this house, and before Sarge came to live with us. Gracie was 6 months old. Trust me on this, there is a huge difference in this dog today.

Ya gotta love it. The Dog Whisperer at work.....
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment