Thursday, January 27, 2011

In Memory

The Bodacious Beau dog

Handsome Dude
I didn't do this right away because it takes a pet owner time to heal enough to even look at a picture of a beloved pet who has passed. This is Beau, the Bodacious standard poodle that belonged to my friend, Sandy in Green Bay, WI. Beau had titles, certificates, achievements that were numerous. Sandy loves to train and compete. This was a dog who loved to run, always bouncy, always happy.

Beau was 12 years old, which is a good age for a large dog. He developed an aggressive form of cancer and passed away in January. He had been sick for a short period, and did not suffer. I have known Sandy since we were 12 years old. We are of like minds on this: dogs should not and will not suffer. Not if they are in our care.

Years ago I had 2 Sheltie Sheepdog collies, litter mates, named Candy and Tobie. Tobie had to be put down at 8 years due to anorexia. The dog stopped eating, had lost over 12 pounds, and no matter what the vet and I tried, it didn't work. Candy lived to be 12, and within 2 weeks lost her sight, hearing, and control of her bladder. I stayed in the room for the final injection, something I had not done with her brother, and that image, that memory haunts me to this day. We put Candy down in 1994, and my husband stated that there would not be any more dogs. So I was without a pet until I got Gracie in January 2009.

The point of this little story is that the hardest part of pet ownership is losing the pet. That act so scarred my heart that I truly hesitated to get another dog. Now, of course, I'm glad I did. I can't imagine what life would be like without Gracie and Sarge. But when the day comes, and it will, that they become fatally ill and a decision has to be made, I will mourn deeply. But I will also rejoice in having known the utter joy of companionship, of unconditional love.

Enjoy yourselves.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment