Saturday, December 11, 2010

Let it Snow.....


Is he not the most handsome dog?
So the forecast is not good. More of the white stuff is on the way. Dang.

Yesterday we walked the park for the first time in 8 days, and I'm not sure who enjoyed it more, me or the dogs. I also took them to the dog park (muddy and wet) for a 90 minute romp. They ran, hard. It was great.

We have another cookie exchange tomorrow. Just what I need, more sugar. Not....! So today I have to bake, and have decided to use a stand-by cookie recipe:

Oatmeal Chippers
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening (I know, I hate using Crisco but it makes these crunchy and really good)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 6 or 12 oz. package of chocolate chips (how much is up to you)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Cream together butter and shortening. Add sugars gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in sifted ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on bakers racks. Makes 8 dozen.

This recipe is from "Homemade Cookies" by the Food Editors of Farm Journal,  copyright 1971. Obviously I've had it forever. The pages are yellowed, but the recipes are so good. Give these a try. They seem to be a favorite of the men in my family.

Enjoy your day, and thanks for stopping by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment