Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Favorites

A Williraye Santa
I grew up in Chicago and a suburb south of the city called Park Forest. We had six television stations from the antenna on the roof. Waaaayyyyy before cable, folks. For those of you from the Chicago metro area, name them with me: channel 2 was CBS, channel 5 was NBC, channel 7 was ABC, channel 9 was WGN when it was just OUR WGN, not the world's. Channel 11 was PBS, and when UHF became available, we had channel 32.

WGN played a ton of old movies. On Sunday afternoons, we had Family Classics with Frazier Thomas. I adore the old Sherlock Holmes films with Basil Rathbone. One of my absolute favorite old movies is The Mark of Zorro, with Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone. Don't know why, but it just appealed to me.

So when it comes to Christmas movies, I'm not into animation, nor am I into the more recent films of the 70's and 80's. No, I like my Christmas movies in black and white. These are my favorites, and if you disagree, that's cool. It's my blog, so I get to do this......

The Bishop's Wife - Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. Doesn't get any better.

Holiday - Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn. This is hardly ever on tv anymore, and I don't know why unless it is considered too dated. Love this movie, and I no longer have a copy of it. Need to find it.

Christmas in Connecticut - Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan. Corny as all get out and I don't care. A fun flick, one that I used to put on while I was baking cookies to take to work. Always made me feel good and put me in the Christmas spirit. I have seen this so many times I can probably recite the dialogue.

Should you get the chance to view one of these, please try them out if you haven't already. Cary Grant was a master, so smooth, so seamless. Enjoy.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment