Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sheepherding Wednesday

Look at the paddle in the upper left hand corner
We went to the farm today. Gracie was a wild woman. Due to Leah's vacation, we had not been herding for two full weeks, and my little Aussie was so ready to get those sheep. Too ready.

I explained that I've been having some problems with Gracie at the dog park. She has chosen a few select dogs to treat as her own herd. And she herds them, quite literally. The problem arises when she won't stop, starts barking in frustration, and then the excitement level escalates. The other dogs don't realize they are simply stand-ins for the sheep, and they will eventually retaliate.

So today we worked on Linda being in command, getting the respect I should as the master. I don't know about my dog, but I am so tired I could go to bed right now, and it's 5p.m.!! I learned how to use the herding paddle today to my advantage. And boy, I went at it for all I was worth. You never, ever hit an animal. Please don't think we do. You point with the paddle, or strike the ground. The idea is to make noise to get the dogs attention, to demand that the dog follow you instead of doing whatever comes into their brains.

Australian Shepherds are very smart, and extremely stubborn. Gracie will try every trick of avoidance rather than do what I want her to do in the pen. But today, she gave to me because I did not give up. I did not relent. This is a new side to the dog/mom equation, and by golly, I think it is working. So I am going to purchase a herding paddle at Tractor Supply, and take it with me to the dog park.

Should you hear about a woman being arrested in Avon, IN., carrying a paddle in a park, please bring bail money. I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Score: Sheep 7 Linda 0 (yes, my butt landed on the ground once again)

No comments:

Post a Comment