Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Misc Tuesday

front view

from the top
First of all, these are terrible pictures. I took them this morning by the light of my bathroom vanity. It is still very dark outside. I am a morning person, the having darkness to 8am is depressing. But that is another story.....

The slippers were made for me by my friend, Sandy, up in Green Bay, WI. She is a knitter. I am not. I have tried to knit, but the only time I have any interest in doing it is in the winter, and that is when the arthritis in my hands goes ballistic. I may try again. These slippers are awesome, and that is an understatement.

When I opened the package, the slippers were about 18 inches long and 8 inches wide, and I thought this woman who I have known since we were 12 had lost her marbles. But she explained that I had to "felt" them in the washer. Felting means you run the article through a cycle on HOT, stop the cycle, and pull them out and try them on.....wet. Dripping wet. That was fun. Not.

The first cycle did nothing but make them wet. I had set the machine on the shortest wash. So the next 3 times (count them, 3) I chose the longest running cycle, the hottest water, and still boiled a pot of water and added it to the machine on the last run. That did it. The 100% wool will actually start to felt before it shrinks.

If you knit, get a pattern and make these. The soles are super thick and cushion your feet as you creep up on the dogs. I love it. Your feet, obviously, stay warm but not overly so.

This is Misc. Tuesday, so more irrelevant facts: I drink Pepsi and always have. Was never a milk drinker. Several years ago I started at Weight Watchers (wonderful program, by the way) and switched to Diet Pepsi. So when it goes on sale, I stock up and stack the cases in the garage. I wasn't rotating the stack, ie: leaving the oldest purchase at the bottom. Sooooo, I pulled one of the older cases and loaded up the fridge last week. ARRGGHH! The expiration date on the bottom of the cans was July 21, 2010, and believe me, you do NOT want to drink Diet Pepsi that is past the expiration date. It tastes like bad Alka Selzer - fizzy but very strange. I poured 22 cans of Diet Pepsi down the drain on Saturday. My sink is stainless steel. The drain and sink have never sparkled or been so bright since I bought the house.

What is this stuff doing to my digestive track???
Linda

 EDIT: Please go to www.thepioneerwoman.com and read the October 31st entry. The nursing home in her home town put on a Haunted House and the residents handed out candy. How cool is that? We need to spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment