Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Part Two

Aren't they beautiful animals?

Havoc, Dan and Amy's pup

Starting to watch the action

Come into the pen, Linda. We like you.

You want me to do what?

No. I'm a stubborn Blue Heeler

Oh, alright. You just won't quit, Mom!
Besides all of the exercise and getting to meet some really nice people, I enjoy taking photos at the farm. In particular, I truly love taking pics of the sheep. Even though they are winning.

Havoc is, I think, 9 months old. They are trying to interest him in herding, so Dan had him on the leash by the fence. He was displaying some interest. Border collies are a nature at this. They instinctively know how to walk up on the herd. That doesn't mean they don't need to be trained, but from my experience, they seem calmer.

Blue Heelers are cattle dogs, and Alex has the same type of problems with Tilly that I have with Gracie. One, they want to dive into the herd. And two, they are stubborn. Alex is performing the movement for the command, "lie down". It took a bit longer than we would like, but she did eventually get Tilly down. I am now working on this at the dog park, when Gracie is excited with all of the other dogs running around. Yesterday was a pretty good day. I kept after her, and she relented. The key is me being consistent with my dog. We're also doing this at home, at odd moments when she doesn't expect it. I want her to get used to my commands regardless of where we are at. The training just never stops, but that's okay. It's part of being a responsible dog owner.

We are having a very late Indian Summer in central Indiana. Great weather to be out with the dogs. I am going to take advantage of this, because I'm sure it will end all too soon. Have a great day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment