Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mackinaw Island

Late afternoon - Lake Michigan

The Grand Hotel

View from the walkway to the fort

View of the harbor from the fort
Last October, my friend Pat and I drove to Mackinaw Island in Michigan. When we departed from the south suburbs of Chicago, it was a beautiful fall day. The air was crisp, a few clouds in the sky, sunlight dancing, and we were looking forward to a great weekend getaway. The closer we got to the island, the worse the weather. We crossed the Straights of Mackinaw in pouring rain and high winds.

There are no motorized vehicles allowed on the island. All transportation is horse-drawn or my bicycle. So. The carriages (taxis) are open. It was still raining very hard. By the time we got to our hotel, we were soaked. I don't think the jeans I had on dried out all weekend. What started as such a promising weekend looked to be a dismal failure.

Don't mess with Mother Nature. Saturday morning dawned very overcast, chilly, but no rain. And the day improved as it progressed. We had a wonderful photography day. After breakfast, we decided to get out while the getting was good. By late morning, we had made our way to the Grand Hotel. I think I can honestly say that the lunch buffet at the Grand Hotel was the best meal I have ever consumed. With that positive experience, we set out to explore the remainder of the island. I don't know if we covered it all, but I think we came pretty close.

If you enjoy walking or riding bikes, and want to spend a peaceful few days, I do recommend Mackinaw Island. Thanks for stopping by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment