Thursday, January 30, 2020

No sunshine equals SAD



Tim Holtz tissue under the paint. This will eventually be something. Just not sure what.


Uniball pen and watercolor
I have always loved watercolor and pen drawings. The problem was that you had to do the pen work after the paint, so it wouldn't run. Enter the Uniball pen that Jill Faust mentioned in a YouTube video, and zowie. I first sketched out the flowers and leaves with a mechanical pencil, then went back and added the pen work. Let that sit for a few days before adding watercolor. The Uniball ink is waterproof, but I have found you get the best results if you let the ink set completely. It doesn't matter how much water or how many applications of watercolors you use, the ink holds. YES!

I have been working almost every day in a journal, just not always finishing anything. About 4 years ago I discovered I had SAD. Seasonal associated disorder from lack of bright sunshine in the winter months. This year it is the worse it has ever been, and I now use a sunlight lamp. It is helping. But until the lamp arrived, I had some very dark thoughts that prevented me from attempting any art work, or rather not wanting to share anything I did. Depression is real, and it can immobilize you. I am grateful I have a part time job that forces me out of the house, to move my body, and to interact with people. That helps. My doctor's solution was to write a prescription for some designer drug. Nope. I googled the drug, and read the laundry list of side effects. Nope. Exercise, dogs, fresh air, and the lamp are doing the trick. Just a side note here, if a drug is prescribed to help with depression, but one of the first warnings is "If you have suicidal thoughts, call your physician immediately", this is not the drug for you.

Smile.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment