Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve

Entire piece is 8x16. Boy is on a 6x12 piece of watercolor paper


Drawing in the long Dylusions journal

This is a journal that Klara made for me

Part of the front cover
Note to self: you must go through the unused journals at least once a month to see what you are not using. My friend, Klara, made me the above journal using an old file folder in darker brown for the cover. I just rediscovered it in the cabinet and started to use it. Not happy with the cover yet. My first inclination was to put a base coat of gesso on the file folder. I should have done that because the colors are dull. At this point I am considering this a work in progress. Perhaps more collage instead of paint. We shall see.

The boy in the super hero cape is from the latest Danielle Donaldson book. I wanted to work on something larger to experiment with the Daniel Smith watercolors. This was a fun piece, and each one I do I learn another tidbit concerning the paint. That is what it's all about.

One of the pointers that Danielle gives in her classes is to practice drawing on Bristol paper. The paper in the Dylusions journals is basically Bristol. It has a very smooth surface. The other day I pulled out the first one not full, and started sketching based on the January issue of Art Journaling. Danielle's tip is a good one. Drawing on a better paper makes it easier. Using coupons at Michael's and Hobby Lobby makes this affordable.

The dogs and I are hanging at home. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment