Saturday, September 23, 2017

Painting Furniture

Table after cleaning and sanding

First coat of chalk paint

With two coats of chalk paint

With one top coat, then a light application of Antique glaze

Antique glaze all over the table
First of all, this is a lot of work, a ton of steps, so if you are contemplating this type of project please consider you need time. As in over a week.

The steps I took are, and all of this was researched on the internet prior to applications:
1. clean the wood with Krud Kutter or denatured alcohol mixed with water
2. lightly sand the wood with 220 grit sandpaper
3. wipe the dust off with a damp rag
4. with a good quality bristle brush, apply first coat of chalk paint. I used General Finishes in Key West Blue.
5. Let that dry for 4 to 6 hours, then lightly sand again. Wipe down with a damp rag.
6. Apply second coat of chalk paint. If desired, you can sand and apply a third coat, but I did not.
7. Due to a busy life, I let the table sit at this point for a week. The paint did harden and sink into the wood. Had I not wanted an antique appearance, I would have needed a third coat of paint. Instead, I applied a light coat of General Finishes Satin top sealer. Let it dry 2 to 4 hours.
8. Without sanding, I very lightly applied and wiped off an Antique Glaze from Lowe's, which was the only glaze product I could find. It is thick and dark. You can't apply this directly to the chalk paint or the chalk paint will absorb the dark and not wipe off. Glazing is a technique I learned from a series of Donna Downey videos on abstract painting with acrylics. Apply the glaze, wipe off with baby wipes for a painting. On the table, I used a damp rag. The glaze medium allows you to keep working, in that if you want to wipe more off, you can within 30 minutes. If you want to apply more for a darker appearance, you can. Glaze must now dry for 24 hours.
9. I will then lightly sand, apply the second coat of top sealer, wait 2 to 4 hours, and repeat. The goal is to have 3 coats of top sealer because it is a kitchen table and will be used daily.

Thoughts: no way will I used this process on the 4 or 5 chairs. Uh, NO!! This will become a hobby, not a project. So, after consulting with Cathy who painted her kitchen cabinets. I went to Sherwin Williams yesterday and purchased a primer, and a quart of high performance acrylic enamel that does NOT need a top sealer. If I prep the chairs correctly, by cleaning with Krud Kutter and sanding, a good coat of primer will seal them. Let that dry for at least a day, then start with the enamel. The chairs are going to be an off white.

I have spent less than $100, and will have furniture unique to my home. Pictures of the finished kitchen will be posted. To make myself move along with this, I have decided to set the chairs up for painting in the art studio, taking up the center space of the room. That will do it. If I have to walk around those suckers, they WILL get done! Plus it keeps the chairs away from the dogs, as the door to that room is closed if I'm not in it. I do have sealed dog hairs in the table.

My house, my dogs. Life is good.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment