Friday, February 3, 2017

Assemblage

Final version

First try

Close up of the stamping
So. I have been trying new techniques on water color paper, with the intent to use these pieces as part of assemblages. I found the gold/red piece of paper in a stack (there are stacks of papers everywhere in this room), and thought the colors were a nice contrast to the blue frame. Liked the way the key stamp turned out, and if you notice, there is a faint hint of french script in the background as well. Cut the paper down to size, and put it in the frame. Took the above photos, and put the frame away thinking I was done.

Then I looked at the photos, and realized that you have to look closely to see the stamping, and that is NOT what I wanted. Went hunting for another piece of water color painted paper that would match, and tried again. That worked.

I have always used Ranger's Archival Ink Pads as my go to ink. It's permanent, dries quickly, and doesn't come off, ever. But lately, as in the past 4 or 5 months, I am finding that it is not stamping like it used to. The images are not vivid. And in mixed media projects, you want both a vivid stamped image, and those that are a whisper or ghost stamp. Background vs. foreground. I have no idea if Ranger has changed the formula because I have found this to be true with the black Archival ink pad I purchased last summer. Because of this, I am changing back to Staz On black permanent ink when I want a bold stamp. Staz On is a much juicier ink pad, and needs more drying time. Just thought I'd mention that, but there is a definite difference. The keys on the green background were stamped with a 10 year old Staz On stamp pad. Yep, 10. Year. I don't leave the lids off, so it has never been over exposed to the air.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment