Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Random Outbursts

Folly  Beach, SC. during a thunderstorm

Historic district in Charleston, SC
There are times in everyone's lives that are overwhelming, stressful, irritating. Moments where your heart beats faster, your blood pressure rises, and you wonder when it will end. Yesterday was one of those days for me, so today I am posting photos from one of my happy places. Take a deep breath, Linda, and relax.

As I posted previously, I had an accident with the car. My vehicle was barely moving, the man who hit me wasn't driving fast (maybe 25 mph), but both cars were towed. Yesterday I received a call from the local collision shop. It was not particularly pleasant news. No, not at all. My car was totaled.

What? What, said I? How in the hell could it be totaled when I was barely moving, when the airbags didn't deploy, when I wasn't hurt? So I calmed down and drove over there. I was blown away by the concern and politeness of John from Diamond Collision. He took the time to explain to me how a Ford Escape is put together, and how the frame was bent from this impact. And once the explanation was based on that fact, how it all fell into place that the total damage could be $14,500. Yes, you read that correctly. Holy Shit, Batman!

I cleaned out my Escape yesterday, leaving behind Gracie and Jake nose smears on the inside windows. Leaving behind a ton of dog hair, and a ton of sadness. But it is just a car, a means of getting from point a to point b. Today I will go look at new Escapes. Hopefully tomorrow I will receive the settlement from the insurance company, and I can return the rental car. I am never comfortable driving a rental. Yeah, it's in my brain, but I just don't like it.

In the middle of all of this drama, my cell phone (the only phone I have) decided to perform some strange duties. For example, Linda, why not set the world clock for Afghanistan? Or let's take a screenshot of your phone when you are not on the internet. Don't like that? Let's randomly choose numerals to hit when you are on a call with, oh, say, the IRS? Which, of course, makes the automated IRS system think you are playing games and kick you back to the beginning of the freaking menu. Hmmmm. How else can we irritate her? I know! When she puts her phone in her coat pocket at the dog park, let's move the screen brightness allllll the way off! Then she can't see anything on the screen. Not even how to get into settings to set it back. Isn't this fun? No, wait. I have another idea. Random phone calls. To people that Linda doesn't really want to talk to at this moment in time. Do you think she is irritated enough yet?

Verizon replaced the phone. I am 27 days away from the end of the contract when I can get a new phone, but they said no, we'll replace it.

Deep sigh.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment