Monday, November 24, 2014

Shit Happens

Saturday was warm and overcast here in central Indiana. I decided it would be a good thing to get the dogs out to the dog park before the heavy rain started. We were there over an hour, the dogs running around and having a good time. I then had to make a quick stop at Michael's for some gesso.

Traffic in this area is growing every single day. The weekends are a zoo, and I have learned to avoid certain roads and areas that are particularly heavy. I am a confident driver, more cautious now that I am older, and always very aware when the dogs are with me. As I tried to make a left hand turn out onto a busy parkway, an opening occurred. There was an older Mercury approaching in the right turn lane with his right turn signal on. I pulled out. He hit me.

Because I was barely moving, we were not hurt. The car is a mess and in a wrecker's parking lot, waiting for the insurance adjuster. I believe, and I am not an expert on automobiles, that the damage is all cosmetic. The front bumper, hood, and both front quarter panels are going to be replaced at the very least. But I don't think the frame is bent or anything mechanical is wrong, because I was able to turn the wheels and pull off on the side of the road.

I am grateful that my babies are alright, although Gracie was shaking badly when I checked on her. Gracie doesn't like booms, or bangs. I am grateful I wasn't hurt, other than shook up, and held some stress in my back for the remainder of that day. But all is good now.

I am grateful for the kindness of my friends, and the consideration, kindness and professionalism of the police and firemen that responded to the crash. They were awesome. Beyond awesome. I stood by the car for almost 30 minutes while the male driver of the other vehicle was transported to the hospital (not hurt, but disoriented.) I presented my insurance information, drivers license, and car registration, called my friend Melissa for help with the dogs and a ride, and answered all questions. In this process, my phone fell out of my coat pocket. The tow driver found it, gave it to a fireman, who delivered it to my home right after I arrived with Melissa. How cool is that?

I cried a little, but refused any medical attention, and called everyone "sir". I thanked everyone several times. It is good to know that the responders are caring individuals. A very good thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment