Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Bullying

Jake, waiting for a paw massage

Jake with a pacifier at Dega's house
You can learn a lot from a dog. The human has to be open minded, willing to learn behavior, but the knowledge is there waiting to be obtained.

For whatever reason, my Jake can be a bully. I have developed a few ways to deal with this when he starts to bark and circle another dog. The first is to put him in a sit position immediately, standing in front of him and blocking his escape. This makes me the pack leader, and works about 50% of the time. It depends on what he wants to get to, whom he wants to dominate. Second method is to turn my back and walk away, telling Jake "BYE" in a loud, commanding voice. This works about 80% of the time. Jake does not want to be abandoned, and will do just about anything to stay with mom. It may not work immediately, but when the message penetrates his brain, he will run to me. Wait! Mom! Please! The last method is a pacifier. If he has a stuffed toy in his mouth that he has claimed as his, he can't bark. This method also makes him feel superior, and is the one we use when Jake and Gracie visit Dega. This works about 95% of the time.

But with all of this, I have learned to stand my ground, not back away or ignore that my dog has a problem. I work with him, because he is my dog and I love him. The question is how can I apply this knowledge to the human bullies that exist in everyone's life? You know what I'm talking about. The guy who cuts you off with his big ass truck because, hey! he is a man and has the right of way. The woman who comes to a class and loudly disrupts because hey! this is her social hour and why should she do what you are instructing? (exercise class, folks)

In general, our society is aware of the bully problem in our schools and on social media. But I see an increase in bullying, and it is scaring the crap out of me. Women are losing rights and ground gained in the past 50 years. Animal abuse abounds, which is simply a human bullying an animal, even with new laws to punish the offenders. Domestic abuse grows daily.

Recently, two women who are involved in creating games for the enormously profitable gaming industry, started a protest of equality in games regarding female roles. It has now become Gamer Gate, with those seeking equality and those disrespecting the women on opposite sides. Death threats have been made. Speeches had to be cancelled. And this entire fiasco appalls me. Men are threatened, in the gaming world, by women asking for some consideration? Are you effing kidding me?

It is time for all of us to stop, take a deep breath, and realize that there really are different strokes for different folks. I for one am tired of this bull shit. I for one am developing an "evil stink eye." This is the look Jake gives me when he has had a bath. That look. Yeah, it works.

You can learn a lot from a dog.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment