Friday, January 3, 2014

The New Year





The first week's challenge was to represent our front door

Well isn't this just turning out to be a dandy winter? Not. I hate the cold. I hate high heat bills. Hate is a strong word. Let's strike that and change it to intense dislike. Sigh.

As the sun was coming up this morning, I walked into the kitchen and saw the ice on the windows shine from the early light. The camera doesn't quite capture it as well as the human eye, but close enough.

A few weeks ago, a group of artists from Florida decided to offer a free, year-long challenge on their blogs called The Documented Life. They also started a Facebook page, and a Flickr group. The idea is to take a weekly planner and alter it so you are not only using it as it was intended, but adding bits and pieces of your life, photos, art work, doodles, whatever you want to do. This appealed to me based solely on the motivation factor. A nice but swift kick in my ass to keep creating. So I ordered the Moleskine planner from Amazon, and added my own home made tabs and "tip-outs/ins", which are simply extra pages that fold out.

You can read about The Documented Life on Robin Marie's website. 

There is also a blog entitled The Documented Life Project, where the group posts our weekly challenges. The first challenge was to either take a photo, or make a drawing, painting, collage, whatever of our front door. Seeing as how this was posted when the snow started, I was not inclined to go out and take a photo. So I sketched my front entrance, playing around a bit with it, and then redid it on watercolor paper. I used very cheap and old water color pencils to color it. Not getting the intensity I wanted, I did some fine tuning with Faber Castell Big Brush Pitt pens. Love those suckers. Besides paint, my one essential art supply. 

In just 2 short weeks that encompassed the Holidays, over 2,000 women (and perhaps a few men) have signed on to follow this year long adventure.

Pretty damn cool.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment