Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Christmas Present


Everything is perspective.

I first saw this cabinet in my step-daughter's beauty salon last spring. I had gone up to help her with the grand opening of the shop. This cabinet was on loan from the florist who owns the building. Tammie, my step-daughter, had a very artful display of product inside, with the doors open. I asked if the cabinet was for sale, and she replied it was. I wanted it. Had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I wanted it.

Fast forward a month or two after that event. My medical bills had suddenly exploded. When the owners wanted the money for the purchase, I just couldn't swing it. So I told them thank you very much, but I was going to have to let it go. Tammie had been holding this for me.

Imagine my utter amazement when this was presented to me as my Christmas present from all 3 kids. Kids. They are 48, 49, and 50. No longer kids. Tammie is a grandmother. But they are and always will be my step-kids. I'm all they have left. Stuck with me, so to speak.

The boys had yet to see the cabinet. And to put this into perspective, I am going to tell you what they paid: $135. For shabby chic furniture, it was a steal. When my oldest saw it, he first said it needed paint (uh, no), and second said if his wife had purchased this piece, she would have paid $1200 and thought it a steal.

Love those kids.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment