Saturday, May 5, 2012

Really?

I am of an age when friends confide that they are battling cancer, chronic pain, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and various other diseases and ailments. This is all part of growing old. Not a whole lot we can do about it, except to eat healthier, exercise, and try to maintain a positive attitude. I myself have been giving in to a slight bout of depression due to sciatic pain. Today I woke up with a different slant on the subject: I'm alive, there are things I want to do yet, and the pain can just go to hell.

So. With the wisdom of advancing years, I can stand back and look at the drama that surrounds me and say, REALLY? Is this necessary, to tie yourself into knots over relationship situations that are a) none of your business, and b)a direct result of immaturity and way too much reality television?

I have been told that I, personally, need to intervene in a current drama to set things right. Hmmmm. No, I don't think so. My experience has been that the individual involved has to come to right decisions for their life on their own terms, or none of it will be accepted. Will I sit down and listen? Absolutely. Will I dole out useless platitudes? No. Will I take over the role of protective parent, from parents that are obviously too self absorbed to be parents? No. We are all adults. This is the real world, not some fantasy created for cheap amusement. Here are the options. Pick a resolution. Live your own life.

"I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom...Let It Be."
Paul McCartney wrote those words many years ago. Wise man, that Sir Paul. Enjoy your day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment