Saturday, November 19, 2011

Just Stuff

Me, with Sarge and Gracie October 2009

I don't know what has brought this on, but I have been thinking about Sarge a great deal lately. I miss him. Don't get me wrong, I love Jake and Gracie and am completely happy and content with these dogs, but ..... There is always that "but".

I think, ( and what the hell do I know?), that the guilt over losing Sarge pops up in my head every few months, and that brings the memories of those horrid 15 days to the forefront. These are the days that Gracie and Jake get extra hugs, extra petting, a longer walk. I have tried to instill in Jake that I am his forever Mom, this is his forever home, and I feel I have succeeded. No matter what, he seeks me out. He is the first one in the door. When I drive with the dogs in the back seat, Jake stands with his front paws on the console, and will often put one paw on my arm or shoulder. If I come to a stop and turn towards him, I usually get a sniff or a kiss. I am the one who put the leash on him and walked him out of the shelter. Me. No one else.

The longer I own dogs, the more I learn about their behavior, and mine. I can't imagine my life without them. Yes, there are days where I would like total peace in the house. But then it would just be a quiet house, not a home filled with dog hair and lots of love.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for stopping by.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment