Saturday, August 6, 2011

When the grass was green...

Jake, enjoying the yard

Gracie, showing her blond fur
I took these pictures on July 16th. We had already stopped mowing the grass because it was no longer growing. I haven't mowed since July 1st. But it was still green. And then the string of plus 90 degree days hit, and sucked the moisture right out of the ground. Once again, the lawns are brown and crunchy.

Today I looked everywhere for my sprinkler. It was just a cheap, plastic circle, but I liked it because it was easy to control where the water fell. Can't find it anywhere, so I stopped at Lowe's and bought a cheap, plastic sprinkler that oscillates. The Indianapolis area has a 50% chance of rain tonight. Uh huh. Last week it poured just north, and I do mean just, of the city. Not a drop on the west side. My thought is that because I spent money on a sprinkler, the skies will open up. Or, I could wash and wax the car. That always worked in the past.

I have one patch of green, growing grass by the water spigot in the backyard. The current hose leaks (is there no end?), and water shoots out for 3 feet from the house. It is the dogs' favorite spot to lay now, due to the grazing tendencies of both.

It takes so little to make them happy....
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment