Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Graduation

Jake, the proud graduate


I signed up for six weeks of puppy manners class with Jake. We are guessing at his age, but the vet feels that he will turn 2 around November of this year. So he is still a pup.

In the past 6 weeks, he learned to sit with a hand motion only, no words, lie down with a verbal command, and then by hand signal, wait at the door, wait for his food and not eat until released,  and to "leave it", whatever "it" may be. For our last class, they had set up an obstacle course. I had to walk Jake around the outside with a loose leash (we're working on that), enter one door and two gates, then do various actions around the course. My boy passed with only one problem: he would not enter an open ended barrel. I got down on my hands and knees trying to entice him through with a dog treat. He wasn't having any of it.

This class was good for both of us. I believe that my dog now trusts me, and that is the basis for any future training. He makes eye contact with me far more often than Gracie does. But then again, Gracie is a Diva, and I am merely part of the staff serving her......

Enjoy this incredible weather. THIS is what summer should be.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment