Saturday, July 16, 2011

Flowers

Red Hibiscus in the front yard

The entire bush

Pink Hibiscus

New Foxglove plant

Lilies backlit by the sun
It is overcast today, lots of low clouds, with the sun popping out sporadically. Good morning light for taking pictures of the flowers. After our walk at the park, I decided to grab the camera and take advantage of this light. The forecast for the next week is intense heat and humidity.

Gardening can be a lot of work. I don't have large flower beds for one reason: water. Last year taught me that if we don't have rain, and I don't want to lose any plants, you have to be very consistent in watering the flower beds. I made an investment in time and money this year, and ordered a load of mulch. My neighbor and I split it, so I had enough to place 2 inches of mulch around all the plants. This has helped tremendously in retaining the moisture for the perennials.

I love the variety of colors and shapes that appear. Each is so unique, such a creation of beauty. I don't have any flower beds in the backyard. Dogs are in the backyard. Dogs that dig, dogs that chew (love that mulch), dogs that stuck their collective noses thru the chicken wire fence last night, pulling long fronds of decorative grasses through to chew. Dogs.

You have to love them.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment