Friday, April 29, 2011

Sigh



Gracie and I have developed a new relationship in the past month. It has been almost a full month since Sarge died. She is more possessive of me, far more protective. Once again she allows me to cuddle with her, gently stroking the fur on her legs. She loves that, closes her eyes and starts to sway with contentment.

My girl has never had a real "doggy" smell. Her odor is unique to her, clean and fresh, and I like to nuzzle her in one of our cuddle moments. I try to make each moment count, letting her know that I am always here, that mom is not abandoning her ever.

So it is with some trepidation that I leave the care of my dog to another person for a week. Gracie will be boarded, not in a kennel, but in a home with an experienced pet sitter. This individual has a fenced in backyard, the entire scenario is very safe. But I worry. It is in my nature to worry. This will be the longest time I am away from my dog, and it has now hit home. Yes, it is good to go on vacation, especially after the month of March and the grief, anxiety, and worry of Sarge. And I need to have some time doing something that I love: viewing new landscapes, adventures, taking photographs, eating food I have never tasted, spending time with my friend, Pat.

But I worry.

I will miss our daily walks. Amazing, but we've been able to walk everyday this week, in between the rain storms. Our old pattern of walking has also returned, and we can set a pretty brisk pace. But we also stop so she can smell the smells, eat some grass, and gaze at the birds.

Gracie will be fine. She will wonder where MOM is. But I hope she will also know that mom will return to get her. Always.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment