Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Flowers are blooming

Looking out from the front door of my house

Some made it through the winter, some did not

I love hostas

How full and lush they are already

The river birch tree we planted last October

It was such a long, hard winter that I didn't realize how much I craved the green of spring. We hit 82 degrees in Indy on this past Sunday. The grass did not need to be mowed then, but it does now.

I did a walk around the flower beds on Sunday. My big, blue hosta on the north side of the house made it through the winter, but a few lesser than harder varieties did not. I had purchased 2 good size river birch trees, planting the one above to shade the walk leading to the front door, and the other outside the kitchen window. They are alive. Evidently, river birch leaf out later than the flowering trees in the neighborhood.

Going to grow some tomatoes in containers this year. Gracie, little digging Aussie that she is, won't leave plants alone yet. She is only 2, and is holding onto her puppyhood longer than most. My girl loves to dig. So I will place the containers on the south side of the house. They will get some shade in the early morning. Just have to keep an eye on them when the intense heat of July and August arrives.

Last night we had company, a King Charles Spaniel named Barkley. Barkley is looking for a new home. His owners have a shi tuz that is very bossy (imagine that!), and a cat that is even more aggressive. Barkley is a very passive dog, quite handsome, but he refused to play or even engage with Gracie. I will help Barkley find a good home, but he won't be joining us. That's cool. Gracie and I just need some time to find the right playmate for her.

Enjoy your day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment