Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Good Day

Note the wistful expression on her face
First let me state for the record that June Cleaver is not my idol....

Cathy, my former boss and current friend (yes, I have more than one, I think) and I went to the Heirloom Stamping Show at the state fairgrounds in Indianapolis. It was pouring rain all day and this sounded like an excellent idea to us: get out and spend money. Sad to see that the show was smaller than last year. In the papercraft/scrapbook industry, companies are disappearing constantly. A commentary on the economy that I don't particularly want to hear.

But if there was only one vendor, we would have found something to purchase. Fortunately for us, there were several. Vintage images, such as the woman above holding the broom, are very much in vogue right now. Cracks me up. The moms today are not old enough to remember aprons, or even using a broom, for that matter. My generation does recall our moms wearing an apron over a "house dress", which was always made of cotton. And probably made by the woman who was wearing it.

So this vintage image was found at one vendor, and the clever little saying was found at another vendor's booth. I snatched it up immediately. Just love it. For those of you too young to get the joke, June Cleaver was Beaver's mom, on the ancient tv show, Leave It To Beaver. This show was possibly one of the most inane pieces of sitcom ever to be on the air. The entire family had to have been on Valium. No expressions, no extremes. Ahhh, but that was the point. The ideal family was bland, bland, and then bland some more. Old June was always dressed in a very nice outfit (dress, NEVER pants) that included high heels. If memory serves me, she also wore pearls. Watching more than 5 minutes of any Leave It To Beaver episode made my teeth hurt, it was so sweet.

I am going to have some fun with this stamp. More cards to come...have a great day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment